DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Discussion > Build Threads

Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS

Mitsubishi's seem prone to early valve stem seal leaks. I had to replace the valve stem seals on my Evo and DSM, and need to do them on my Montero Sport.

What o2 housing are you using? I had really bad boost creep on my 14b until I switched to a tubular o2 housing. It was a night and day difference.
2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 10-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Dusty

Name: Matthew
Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Using a ported Evo 3 housing. Creep isn't horrible, only raising to about 18-19 psi at 7k rpm. Negative temperatures are not helping but roads are helping me avoid flooring it everywhere.

I've thought about going to a tubular setup but would have to re-weld the angle on my downpipe, and I don't want to lose the "stock" look under the hood.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Dusty

Installed a Volk crossmember setup to lose some weight. Pretty straight forward install, with only a couple issues that need addressed. Had to drill new holes in the front motor mount, I'll weld some washers when I can. I'm also running a 2g radiator that is taking up more room than I'd like. Plan on going back to a 1g setup but need to weld the lower mounts back to the stock locations.

[IMG]IMG_5939 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_5940 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_5942 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5943 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5944 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5939.jpg (60.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5940.jpg (46.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5942.jpg (52.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5943.jpg (47.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5944.jpg (30.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by FireFighterMatt; 01-21-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterMatt View Post
Installed a Volk crossmember setup to lose some weight. Pretty straight forward install, with only a couple issues that need addressed. Had to drill new holes in the front motor mount, I'll weld some washers when I can. I'm also running a 2g radiator that is taking up more room than I'd like. Plan on going back to a 1g setup but need to weld the lower mounts back to the stock locations.
Looks great! What was the issue with the motor mount though?
2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 01-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Dusty

Not sure about the motor mount; I have mount 347 and it should have been a direct bolt in. Car does have over 210K on the body so things don't line up as well as they used to. I want to add some fender braces as well but waiting to see if anyone starts fabricating them since the 1g has been getting more parts made lately.

This should make an skid plate easier to mount as well, using u-bolts to support it.

Been spending most of my free time helping the neighbor with his 1g. Removed all sound deadening, firewall "blanket", trim/brackets in the rear, etc. Rebuilding his wire harness and getting it setup for Meth injection. He's still running the turbo off of a 5.9 cummins, should be a fun car.

I forgot to mention that I rebuilt my entire engine wire harness; removed unnecessary wires and I don't have any cut/hacked sections anymore. WB is pinned directly into the EGR ECU location and I isolated my knock sensor from the rest of the harness. Wish I would have done this years ago, solved many issues with the biggest being phantom knock.

Roads are horrible; temperatures here are finally getting back down to -20 and below but we kept going over freezing with rain, coating the roads in ice. Unfortunately that takes the BRZ out of the picture since I don't trust anyone else on the streets.

IMG_5945 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5946 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5947 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5948 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr
Old 02-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Dusty

Not the update I wanted to post, but I'll make the best of the situation. Was driving home and noticed road noise was louder than normal; roads were just grooved again since temperatures are coming up so didn't think that hard about it. After pulling in the driveway I figured I'd check under the car just in case...noticed a very clean section of the exhaust near the diff....

Pulled the car in the garage and found that my pinion seal had failed, dumping fluid everywhere. Pulled the drain plug and was covered in fine silver shavings.

I've been putting off work on the rear end, but don't have a choice now. Dropped the rear subframe and separated everything. I'll be taking the diff into Fairbanks to get the bushings/seals replaced, poly subframe/trailing arm/lower control arm bushings, Bulfab mustache bar, and attempt to replace the hub assembly with the parts I picked up a year ago.

Also discovered that FEAL can rebuild DT2 Hotbits. The winter has been pretty rough on the car and the coilovers have finally started to leak. When temps start to stay above 0 degrees I'll start looking into sending them out.

For now, I'll keep enjoying the BRZ and getting dirty looks as I attempt to get around.

[IMG]IMG_5950 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_5954 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr

IMG_5955 by Matthew Jewett, on Flickr