DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Main > Introductions

Introductions Please Introduce yourself noobies!

Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortico View Post
I had to throw that out there since i'm used to getting stomped by you at AutoX!
2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Wash Me

Name: JJ
Drives: 03 Evo

Hello & nice action shots!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Mud Slinger

Name: Duncan
Drives: Evo IX

Thanks muddyevo!

So I've decided that I will be converting to RallyX for the next season. Hopefully we will have it active in El Paso at that point, so far things are looking positive.

Anyway, my car is currently set up for STU and I'll be swapping out several pieces... I wanted to see if any of the swaps would be worth while or not. My plan is to run in Prepared AWD (which locally will be Modified AWD for the start at least).

Current and RallyX preparation:
  • Intake: Cone filter (Worth it to go back to the stock box, or just get something to protect the filter from the dust?
  • IC Plumbing: Stock -> ETS LICP, keeping the UICP stock I think.
  • Exhaust Manifold: Ported/Coated Stocker, will remain
  • O2 housing: Aftermarket Tubular -> may port and coat stocker but will leave this one for now
  • Exhaust: 3" buschur exhaust with mil spec 100 cell cat -> planning on doing a muffler delete for extra clearance in the rear, something I can swap easily
  • Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 12k/16k -> Stock KYB suspension with CiroDesigns camber/caster plates
  • FSB: stock -> stock maybe with the cusco bracket adapter?
  • RSB: Perrin 25mm + stout mounts -> Stock RSB
  • Rear Diff: Stock Restack (12 plate rebuild worth it?)
  • ACD: Stock tune (can we retune it if its the only diff thats being "changed/modified"?)
  • Wheels: 17x9.5 RPF1 -> stock wheels (may try to do braids/team dynamics 15")
  • Brakes: stock brembos -> may try williwood setup.
  • Underbody Protection: None -> TRF Skidplate
  • Tires: 225/50R17 Winterforce or 205/65R15 Winterforce (Studdable Snow)

I suppose getting the brakes/15" wheels will depend on how much I can sell my old gear for or if I can strike a good deal. I'm going to go for studdable snow for this coming season and hopefully get some gravel tires eventually, I really like the fact that the 15" snow tires I'm after are only going to cost me ~$400 shipped vs $700+ shipped I've been doing for AutoX. Annoyingly the 17" snows are about the same price as my AutoX tires, but this makes me lean more towards investing and getting a 15" setup I can use.

A couple of questions though:

I have some oem brake cooler guides (that I have not installed yet), those bits o plastic you bolt to the control arm. Are those helpful/useful for RallyX?

Intake, is stock with drop-in better than a cone?

Intake plumbing: From the rules I can change the intake up to the throttle body. I can't touch the turbo system though and it specifically states "turbocharger, supercharger, intercooler". So the way I'm interpreting t is that everything in the intake track up to the throttle body is changeable with the exception of the turbo, supercharger and intercooler which permits me to change the lower IC pipe and upper IC pipe. Is this correct though?

Thanks for any help (or pointing me to the right place lol).
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Mud Slinger

Got my camber/caster plates in to mount to some kyb (for now) suspension. Any recommendations on how much caster and camber to go for in the front?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Mud Slinger

So the conversion has begun. Replaced my Perrin RSB today with the stocker, and test fit some eclipse brakes to fit 15" wheels. Those have now been painted and awaiting installation either this week or next weekend.

Also picked up a set of BF Goodrich rally tires, stock bilstien suspension, team dymamics 15x7 wheels.

Took a look at what i would need to do for a muffler delete, not too bad looks like a straight pipe with a 30 degree or so bend and a hanger. May start fiddling with that soon.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Owner|Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortico View Post
So the conversion has begun. Replaced my Perrin RSB today with the stocker, and test fit some eclipse brakes to fit 15" wheels. Those have now been painted and awaiting installation either this week or next weekend.

Also picked up a set of BF Goodrich rally tires, stock bilstien suspension, team dymamics 15x7 wheels.

Took a look at what i would need to do for a muffler delete, not too bad looks like a straight pipe with a 30 degree or so bend and a hanger. May start fiddling with that soon.
Sounds awesome Duncan! I can't wait to see how she looks with the gravel setup! How did the caliper painting go?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Mud Slinger

And its started. First off, my perrin rsb comes out, stocker goes back in. Little bit goes into the kitty but that's going to turn into a skidplate in the near future.

Next up, test fitting of the new front brakes. With Nate's help (since I was a junkyard virgin) we found some calipers that were in decent shape, removed them and they were sent in as cores for some remanufactured brakes from RockAuto (my first experience with them, and I must say I am happy so far).

Picked up calipers, slotted and drilled rotors (would have prefered slotted only but I could not find any), and some EBC redstuff pads. Been using EBC redstuff for the past two years and I'm very happy with these pads for street and autox driving, so I figure street and some rally will work well.

Unbolted the calipers and got them ready for paint, I'll need to do some final touchups but the paint came out well.

Up next is installing the brakes completely, and swapping over from my PSS9's to Bilstein suspension. Slowly but surely.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Owner|Admin

Looks great Duncan!! Look like we've both had busy weekends in the garage!

On a side note... PSS9's are Bilsteins
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Mud Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC View Post
Looks great Duncan!! Look like we've both had busy weekends in the garage!

On a side note... PSS9's are Bilsteins
Yeah I know lol should have said stock bilsteins lol.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Mud Slinger

Some updates:

My tires came in the other day, BF Goodrich 195/65r15 and some team dynamics 15x7 wheels.

Got them mounted today, poor folks at Pepboys had a hard time but they got them done!

Now I have all these goodies to install!

Working on trying to get these all in by November 9th so I can take my car out to Tuscon and give it a go before next season... hopefully I will have the time.