DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Discussion > Build Threads

Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS

My 1g has been sitting neglected in the garage for the past 2 years while I was working on various other projects (moving, Evo, corvette, family, etc). But now things have finally settled down and it's getting some attention once again. Since I'm not currently participating in any Rallyx events, I would love to be able to drive it occasionally. It's really a super fun car, but due to the race seat, gutted interior, and Lexan windows, it's no fun to drive on the street anymore. So my first project is reinstalling the full interior to make it fun to drive again. It's going to have everything except for HVAC. It will have power locks, power windows, power seatbelts, full trim, carpet, radio, interior lights, etc.

So far I have already swapped over the full interior harness, dash, rear seats, and most of the trunk trim panels. I'll post up more pictures as I make progress. One change I made to the setup was the location of the gauges. Before I had a dual center vent gauge pod and a single ash tray gauge pod. Since im not going to be running HVAC I decided to mount the gauges in the HVAC control knob openings. I really like how slick they look there.

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg
2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Owner|Admin

Today my dad came by and helped me finish installing the interior wiring harness, all the remaining trim pieces (except for the doors), and the factory seats and seatbelts. It's been gutted for a few years now and I've got to say it feels great to have my interior back in!

IMG_6272.jpg

I do have some troubleshooting to do though because my auto seatbelts aren't working and my door ajar sensors aren't working either. Hopefully it's just a fuse.

I also ordered some new rear hatch struts, shifter base bushings and autometer brackets. Just some little items to freshen things up a bit.

Next I'll have to get the power doors moved over.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Dusty

Name: Matthew
Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Looking good. Can't beat the look of the OEM radio
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Owner|Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterMatt View Post
Looking good. Can't beat the look of the OEM radio
Thanks Matt! Yeah, the OEM double din radio adds a nice retro touch.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Owner|Admin

Over the past week I fixed a few bugs and got some more goodies installed. Indeed one of the interior fuses was blown and replacing that restored my interior lights and got 2 of the door ajar sensors working. The drivers side sensor ended up being bad so I swapped it out which fixed that problem as well.

My Split Motorsports shifter base bushings came in and I quickly swapped out the old washers for the new CNC machined aluminium bushings. I also cut the trim in the hatch area to reinstall my old rear upper strut bar. I like the minimalist opening I made this time around.

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

Lastly, I installed a set of factory 1g fog lights. Luckily all the wiring was good and the switch worked! I see LED bulbs in my near future.

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Over the next week I will hopefully finish up the door swap. I need to paint the doors (both inside and out) and install the 5 piece wing and side skirt pieces.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Owner|Admin

I got a little bit more work done on the "freshening up project" over the past couple of days. First off, I got the new rear hatch struts installed, so no more broom handle in the back to prop the hatch open.

Secondly I added COB LED light bulbs (6000k) in all 4 dome light slots and in the trunk fixture. It is so much brighter inside now! 1g interior lights from the factory are quite pitiful to begin with so this is a very noticeable upgrade. I still need to get the rest of the lights ordered and swapped out, but this was a good start. (This picture was taken in complete darkness, so all of the illumination is from the single trunk bulb.)

IMG_6330.jpg

Next I restored the fog light housings with Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer. It took several years worth of oxidization off of the lenses and made them much clearer. The one on the right side of the picture hadn't been done yet to show before and after.

IMG_6313.jpg

The biggest item was painting the new passenger side door and getting it installed, along with the factory door panel and my old custom suede door insert. Here is a picture with the factory door now installed on the passenger side, compared my gutted race door still on the drivers side. Wow! I love the solid sound it makes when you close the door, compared to the rattleing sound on the gutted doors.

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg