DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Motor Sports > Driving Techniques

Driving Techniques From left foot braking to the Scandinavian flick, this is the place to discuss various driving techniques.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Squeaky Clean

Name: Megatron
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
Default Transition from tarmac to dirt

Hello all, this probably should not be under driving techniques... sorry... I have a question on how to setup a car for loose surface racing.

My car has been modified for road sprints, autocross and hill sprints. I'm comfortable enough with the hydraulic handbrake, LFB, heel-toe etc. to get by on tarmac. I'll be transitioning to on racing on lightly compacted dirt/grass this year in an event where no gravel tires allowed. On here there there's lots of advice on how to drive on loose surfaces which I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

Does anyone have advice on a safe / newbie setup for:

1. Tire pressures
2. Alignment
3. Brake bias

Thanks,
-Brian
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Dusty

Name: Sam
Drives: 1992 Eclipse GS 2.0

What tires are you thinking of running? The type and size of the tire come in to play for pressures.

Alignment comes down to driver preference, but since you'll probably be running tires with less than desirable grip you'll want to keep camber as neutral as possible and zero toe in the rear. I find that a little toe out in the front is always beneficial if you're not seeing high enough speeds for it to hinder stability and you're not heating the tires up enough for it to accelerate wear.

I'm a firm believer in rear biased brakes on loose stuff, as it lowers the chance of locking up the fronts and responds better to left foot braking/trail braking. Overdoing it will effectively turn your pedal into another handbrake--which you don't want, but you do want enough bias that the rears reach the point of lockup before the fronts do.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Squeaky Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GS603 View Post
What tires are you thinking of running? The type and size of the tire come in to play for pressures.

Alignment comes down to driver preference, but since you'll probably be running tires with less than desirable grip you'll want to keep camber as neutral as possible and zero toe in the rear. I find that a little toe out in the front is always beneficial if you're not seeing high enough speeds for it to hinder stability and you're not heating the tires up enough for it to accelerate wear.

I'm a firm believer in rear biased brakes on loose stuff, as it lowers the chance of locking up the fronts and responds better to left foot braking/trail braking. Overdoing it will effectively turn your pedal into another handbrake--which you don't want, but you do want enough bias that the rears reach the point of lockup before the fronts do.

Thanks for the advice! Based on my driving preference I'm currently running the following specs. I get a slight oversteer bias but that's just my style:

-2.2deg camber up front
-.2deg toe in front

-1.2deg camber rear
0 or slight negative tow rear

33psi front 30psi rear on 17" Volk Racing TE-37s. Size: 225 45 R17

Tires are a really really really soft compound semi slick / budget tire from Westlake (Chinese brand). It grips well in the dry and wet. Grips better when warmed up. Can't afford anything more prestigious because prices triple with import duties here.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 AM
Squeaky Clean

Default Came in 3rd in class

I placed 3rd. 5 seconds off pace but hopefully we can improve next season.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Wash Me

Name: Josh
Drives: on curvy roads
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroric

Very nice! That is an awesome picture as well!

2004 Lancer RALLI//ART