DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Discussion > Build Threads

Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS
Default Evo V Part Deuce

Now that the main build is done and the car is running and painted, part deuce will cover the rest of the modifications I do to my Evo/Mirage collaboration.

Current modification list:
1998 Evolution V 4G63 and AWD drivetrain
Evolution VIII ECU with Tephra V7
NGK BPR7ES Spark plugs
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
3" stainless steel exhaust
TurboXS MBC
Evolution VIII Bilstien struts with Swift springs
Perrin adjustable rear sway bar with adjustable endlinks
Brembo calipers (V up front and VIII in the rear) with Stoptech/Centric high carbon rotors, pads, and stainless steel brake lines
Enkei RPF1 17x9.5" +38 rims with 245/40/17 Dunlop Direza ZII tires
EvoBits Ralliart Polyurethane Mudflaps
Sparco seats
HKS turbo timer
Pioneer double din touch screen head unit and speakers
AEM digital boost and wideband AFR gauges
Ralliart driveshaft and rear differential plates

2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Owner|Admin

The first order of business is to get some more fuel in so the boost can go up. To remedy that I installed a set of Fuel injector Clinic 950cc injectors to replace the RC 550cc injectors that were in it.

Also in the meantime I had an idle issue where it would idle very low when it was cold (about 700rpm) and very high once it warmed up (about 1700rpm). I pulled out the ISCV to check its operation and it came apart in several pieces. So I have ordered a new FIAV/ISCV along with a new BISS screw, o-ring, cap, and throttle body gasket. This should get my RPM's idling as smooth as they did from the factory.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Owner|Admin

Also while the car is down waiting for its new idle parts to come in I decided to get a few more little things done.

First I installed some USeal 3 layer reinforced aluminum repair tape along the entire driver and passenger portions of the cars floor. From what I have read this stuff is basically a slightly thinner version of Dynamat or similar sound deadening material. As I've been driving the car I've realized just how loud an old rally car can be! I'm hoping to tone it down just a bit, at least so I can make calls with my Bluetooth head unit without having to shout. This stuff was very easy to install and was pretty affordable, $16 a roll of 6"x 25'. I used two rolls to do both driver and passenger floor panels (one roll for each side). I figure another roll would do the back seat area and still have some left over.

The only drawback to using this stuff is that the adhesive is asphalt based and under extreme temps can let go a little bit. That is why I am only using it on the floor, not on vertical surfaces. Whenever I get around to doing the doors and roof I will use a more expensive butyl rubber based sound deadener.

Also, I feel a fire extinguisher is pretty much mandatory in any modified or raced vehicle. I had a DSM buddy who watched his whole car burn to the ground and was unable to do anything because he didn't have one. For me it's cheap insurance and I've had one in each of my cars, and this one is no exception. I mounted the bracket to the cage behind the center console and it's within easy reach from the driver's seat.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Wash Me

Name: Josh
Drives: on curvy roads
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroric

Im still super jealous of this car! Glad to see your still showing it some love and continuing to improve it! Keep up the good work Nate!

2004 Lancer RALLI//ART
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Owner|Admin

Default Evo V Part Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroric View Post
Im still super jealous of this car! Glad to see your still showing it some love and continuing to improve it! Keep up the good work Nate!

Thanks Josh!

I've decided that since I'm going to be raising the fuel and boost I should remove some of the intake restrictions. The factory air intake dances around the battery and has a bunch of twists and turns. The first step to installing an aftermarket intake is relocating the battery.

I considered moving the battery to the trunk but opted from a simpler relocation and decided to move it up to where the factory air box was. I measured and there was clearance between the battery and the hood. However I wanted to make absolutely sure that there wasn't any risk of the battery touching so I swapped my Evo battery out with the Optima Yellow top that was in my Eclipse because it was over an inch shorter. I also needed to make sure the battery was very secure so it couldn't bounce up and hit anything. Time to make a battery tray!

I started off with a flat piece of steel and bent one end up 90*. I welded a tab on one end to serve as my first mounting bracket. My second mounting bracket was a bit more complex as it was down a bit from the surface of the tray. To get around that I cut a notch in my tray and then welded the mount about 1/4" below the main tray. I think the pictures should make more since here, but this also served to keep the bolt head below the surface of the tray so the battery can still sit flat.

Once I installed the tray I noticed that there was still some play so I decided to make a third mount, this time on the front of the tray. I welded some angle iron to the front a bolted it down, rock solid!

With the new battery and location the factory tie downs were too long. I pulled out my tap and die set and added more threads down the rod and then cut off a few inches from the top.

Once everything was test fitted I sprayed the tray with some high heat engine enamel and installed the battery! His sucker is solid! It won't budge at all. As an added bonus, I made it all with with stuff laying around the garage and didn't have to spend a dime! Next up, intake pipe and filter!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Mud Slinger

Name: Jay
Drives: 2011 Lancer GTS & 1999 Montero (Winter Package)

you really have no idea how much I hate the Evo V posts. But...I am just hating. Love the car man.

//////////
Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Mud Slinger

Name: Duncan
Drives: Evo IX

Looks good Nate, what did you end up doing for the intake side or is that portion in progress still? Mr. Hastwoweeksoff... lol
Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Mud Slinger

Oh btw the battery terminals you have there are what I have on mine. The ground wingnut was what was loose yesterday incase my text didn't make any sense lol.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Owner|Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
you really have no idea how much I hate the Evo V posts. But...I am just hating. Love the car man.
Haha thanks Jay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortico View Post
Looks good Nate, what did you end up doing for the intake side or is that portion in progress still? Mr. Hastwoweeksoff... lol
Work in progress. I'm using an Evo VIII Injen intake pipe and MAF adapter I had left over from the VIII and a K&N filter that I'm supposed to be picking up in a trade from a local guy going to SD. I don't have the filter yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortico View Post
Oh btw the battery terminals you have there are what I have on mine. The ground wingnut was what was loose yesterday incase my text didn't make any sense lol.
Haha, yeah they made sense. I was using these thermals on the DSM and never had any issues with them coming loose. However that would most definitely cause your issues! Like I said, I'm surprised it worked at all!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Mud Slinger

Yeah no doubt lol. Not super loose but there was some play. Hoping that along with the ODBII scanner is what was causing my electrical issues. If not I guess I'll take it into pepboys or something so they can do better diagnosis.