DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > Regional Main > International Regional

International Regional For everyone around the globe!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Squeaky Clean

Name: ovi
Drives: mitsubishi outlander turbo
Default mitsubishi outlander turbo

Hey everybody,

I am the owner of a mitsubishi outlander turbo with a 2.0L petrol turbo engine , type 4G63T and 148kW (201 HP ) with a W5M51-2X4B transmission. Couple of month ago i decided to change the fluids in my car so i went to the local mitsubishi dealer , and he provided me mobil1 oils for gearbox, Tcase and rear diff. after a time I started to hear some whining ...then it becamed louder and louder .....so luod like a bad bearing ! was louder then the stereo i had !
one day , inevitable happened .... i hear clunk-buf-clank-bum-clank , i stopped the car .... i looked arround , couldn't saw anything suspicious .
I continued to drive the car home on slow speed , but i could feel some resistance from time to time ...like something braking the transmission and the noise was clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk like iron on iron / steel on steel sound.

Here is the tests i have made:

1. I lift the car , only the front wheels on stands , front wheels being in air , and rear wheels on the ground....I accelerate a little and slowly release the clutch ...... the car did not wanted to move .

2. I lift the car , only the rear wheels on stands , rear wheels being in air , and front wheels on the ground....I accelerate a little and slowly release the clutch ...... the car wanted to move

I said to myself , that's it ! i need a rear differential and problem is solved.
I have replaced the rear differential and then drove the car. At begining there was no clunk-clunk-clunk sound , so i said to myself.... cool, my car is fix ! ....then i accelerate ......and i saw smtg wierd .... i did not had the speed i supposed to have on that RPM ! WTF !??? i drove the car and i saw revs was going as fast as it should be , but speed not ! ...more wierd even in 3rd gear when i push hard the acc pedal .... i could hear the wheels spinning fast ....it seems i still have NO rear traction :(

I am waiting for opinions and ideas ..... my guess is my Tcase is broke ...is there any rebuild option for it ? maybe a stage 1 upgrade ? stock Tcase sucks !

what oils are recomanded to be used in gearbox , Tcase and rear diff ?

Thank you all for future answers !

I add photos of front transfer case . here they are :

here is the transfer case when i toke it out from gearbox , only numbers on it are showed here:

different angle of Tcase:

Unscrew the drain fluid :

oil smell bad , don't know the words to explain the smell, but for sure is not factory smell , as you can see , i found there grease + metal "span" ( small or thin parts of metal )

After seeing this i said to myself ... " i better open visitor window to see what's inside " ..... here is me doing that :

Again that wierd not-normal smell comming from inside the Tcase , but the worst part is just showing up :

using a contact cleaner spray , i tried to reveal what is that "thing" mixed with grease , and i did saw it :( , thin metal pieces :(

I lost my mood and curiosity to look inside the Tcase , but here are some photos :

looking deeper :

looking deeper and deeper :(

Last edited by owexonline; 04-19-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: photos avialable now
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Mud Slinger

Name: unitedterra
Drives: Evo

As far as fluids go you can't go wrong with what's listed in the owner's manual. If you go with a rebuild I'm not sure what options are out there for your t-case, but first stop for me would be Sheptrans or TRE. I've got a full Shep driveline and it's way better than stock. Hope you get it fixed soon!

Edited to sound a little less middle school essay-ish.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Squeaky Clean

Default sorry

english is not my native language .
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Mud Slinger

Name: unitedterra
Drives: Evo

Oh, no, I edited my post to sound better. Yours was perfectly fine! I just couldn't think of the right words when I first wrote it... You actually write better than most of the college students in my classes and they were born and raised in Wisconsin haha
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Owner|Admin

Name: Sean
Drives: 2012 Focus

I second what unitedterra said.

I always used oem fluids and never had any issues.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Thompson Racing Fabrication

Name: Ryan
Drives: Vehicles

What year is the 4G63 from? There have been substantial driveline changes in this engine and transmission over the span of production.
It sounds to me like it may even be a broken axle. Transfer case is certainly a possibility too.
By the way, trying to drive your car while it's on two jack stands is a very bad idea. Please be careful, it's not good for your car, and not good for the safety of those around you.
Ryan
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Squeaky Clean

[QUOTE=
By the way, trying to drive your car while it's on two jack stands is a very bad idea. Please be careful, it's not good for your car, and not good for the safety of those around you.
Ryan[/QUOTE]

Thank you Ryan , drive the car while is on jacks is no danger, if you pay attention to details , this method was the most rudimentary i could think of , to check if transmission is working on all 4 wheels.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Squeaky Clean

Sorry for editing, but I have photos now :)