DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum!

Go Back   DirtyEvo.com - The Evo and DSM Rally Forum! > DirtyEvo Discussion > Build Threads

Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Owner|Admin

Name: Nathan
Drives: 1998 Evo V, 1991 Eclipse GSX, 2000 Montero Sport XLS

My 1g has been sitting neglected in the garage for the past 2 years while I was working on various other projects (moving, Evo, corvette, family, etc). But now things have finally settled down and it's getting some attention once again. Since I'm not currently participating in any Rallyx events, I would love to be able to drive it occasionally. It's really a super fun car, but due to the race seat, gutted interior, and Lexan windows, it's no fun to drive on the street anymore. So my first project is reinstalling the full interior to make it fun to drive again. It's going to have everything except for HVAC. It will have power locks, power windows, power seatbelts, full trim, carpet, radio, interior lights, etc.

So far I have already swapped over the full interior harness, dash, rear seats, and most of the trunk trim panels. I'll post up more pictures as I make progress. One change I made to the setup was the location of the gauges. Before I had a dual center vent gauge pod and a single ash tray gauge pod. Since im not going to be running HVAC I decided to mount the gauges in the HVAC control knob openings. I really like how slick they look there.

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg
2014 Pan Am SCCA RallyX //// //// 1st place Modified AWD
Old 09-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Owner|Admin

Today my dad came by and helped me finish installing the interior wiring harness, all the remaining trim pieces (except for the doors), and the factory seats and seatbelts. It's been gutted for a few years now and I've got to say it feels great to have my interior back in!

IMG_6272.jpg

I do have some troubleshooting to do though because my auto seatbelts aren't working and my door ajar sensors aren't working either. Hopefully it's just a fuse.

I also ordered some new rear hatch struts, shifter base bushings and autometer brackets. Just some little items to freshen things up a bit.

Next I'll have to get the power doors moved over.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Dusty

Name: Matthew
Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Looking good. Can't beat the look of the OEM radio
Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Owner|Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterMatt View Post
Looking good. Can't beat the look of the OEM radio
Thanks Matt! Yeah, the OEM double din radio adds a nice retro touch.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Owner|Admin

Over the past week I fixed a few bugs and got some more goodies installed. Indeed one of the interior fuses was blown and replacing that restored my interior lights and got 2 of the door ajar sensors working. The drivers side sensor ended up being bad so I swapped it out which fixed that problem as well.

My Split Motorsports shifter base bushings came in and I quickly swapped out the old washers for the new CNC machined aluminium bushings. I also cut the trim in the hatch area to reinstall my old rear upper strut bar. I like the minimalist opening I made this time around.

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg

Lastly, I installed a set of factory 1g fog lights. Luckily all the wiring was good and the switch worked! I see LED bulbs in my near future.

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Over the next week I will hopefully finish up the door swap. I need to paint the doors (both inside and out) and install the 5 piece wing and side skirt pieces.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM
Owner|Admin

I got a little bit more work done on the "freshening up project" over the past couple of days. First off, I got the new rear hatch struts installed, so no more broom handle in the back to prop the hatch open.

Secondly I added COB LED light bulbs (6000k) in all 4 dome light slots and in the trunk fixture. It is so much brighter inside now! 1g interior lights from the factory are quite pitiful to begin with so this is a very noticeable upgrade. I still need to get the rest of the lights ordered and swapped out, but this was a good start. (This picture was taken in complete darkness, so all of the illumination is from the single trunk bulb.)

IMG_6330.jpg

Next I restored the fog light housings with Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer. It took several years worth of oxidization off of the lenses and made them much clearer. The one on the right side of the picture hadn't been done yet to show before and after.

IMG_6313.jpg

The biggest item was painting the new passenger side door and getting it installed, along with the factory door panel and my old custom suede door insert. Here is a picture with the factory door now installed on the passenger side, compared my gutted race door still on the drivers side. Wow! I love the solid sound it makes when you close the door, compared to the rattleing sound on the gutted doors.

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg
Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Owner|Admin

This week I finished painting the factory doors and got them installed on the car. I also repairs the driver side sideskirt, which was starting to droop. Then on to electric troubleshooting (fwbt knows it's my favorite part, ). Currently my passenger window barely moves (After some diogbostic work in pretty sure it's the actual motor) and neither automatic seatbelt moves at all (one is in the forward position and the other is in the rear position). I did fix the power door locking system (it was missing the fuse entirely) and ended up ditching the power side mirrors in favor of my trusty manual set.

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

Aside from fixing the passenger window and seatbelts I also need to swap the exterior door trim pieces on to the new power doors. Progress continues!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Owner|Admin

Big update this week! The automatic seatbelts are working now... it helps if the seatbelt control unit is plugged in. I got the door wing and center door trim pieces installed with 3M Super Strength Moulding tape. The new passenger window motor and assembly has been ordered and is actually supposed to be here tomorrow. I went with an AC Delco rebuilt unit from Rock Auto.

Lastly, I had a leak where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. The super common recall leak. But since my car comes up as a FWD I went ahead and did the recall kit myself instead of taking it to the dealership. The old one pressed off easily on the bench vice and the new yoke went on without any trouble. However, when I crawled under the car to start working on it I noticed that the rear carrier bearing was hanging off the car. One of the nuts and bushings was completely gone. So I ordered a set of Torque Solution bushings as well as some Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil for both the DSM and EVO transfer cases. Also while I had the driveshaft off I took the opportunity to scrape off all the globs of dried mud from the underside of the driveshaft tunnel. Two years of rallycross will do that!

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

So I'm hoping that by the end of the week all of my parts will all be in and I'll have a working passenger window, no leak from the transfer case, a solidly mounted driveshaft, insurance, antique plates, and be driving it!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Owner|Admin

On Tuesday I went and got her registered and was issued my new antique license plate. I also added her back onto my insurance policy. And just like that, she's officially a street car again. I also received my new passgnger side window motor assembly and quickly swapped it in and now both windows work, woo hoo!

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

On Wednesday I decided it was time to repaint all the black stuff. Since having rattle can painted the car a few years ago, the black top had taken a major beating from the El Paso sun. The Rustolium clear had peeled almost completely off the roof. Also the fiberglass work I had done to fill to fill in the opening for the rear wiper on the wing had cracked and needed some attention. I spent a few hours tediously taping off the windows, mirrors, and protecting the body of the car (and the Evo next to it) from getting any over spray. Then I applied a new layer of Bondo-glass over the wing and sanded everything down to repaint. I used 4 cans of Rustolium black, no clear this time. It's not perfect, but it looks pretty good for the $30 I spent on paint and supplies.

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

Today my Torque Solution driveshaft bushings came in and I thought it was going to be a simple install... boy was I wrong! As you recall, when I took the driveshaft down, it was missing one of the rear bushings and nut completely and the driveshaft was just kinda hanging there. Well when I went to reinstall it, I discovered why... both rear mounting studs were broken in half. They were too short to get the bushing on, and one of them was also stripped, so I couldn't even put the driveshaft up without the bushing. Time to break out the welder. First I cut off what was left of the old studs. I then cut a new bolt to length. The end that I was going to weld to the chassis I ground down to a point, to give me space to weld it, without interfering with the installation of the bushing. I then placed a jack underneath it to hold it in place and welded it onto the chassis. Afterwards I ground off any extra metal around the base of the bolt so the bushing would seat properly. Then I covered the bare metal up with some black spray paint to keep it from rusting. I did the same thing on both sides and was finally able to mount my driveshaft. I'm very happy with how it turned it!

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg
Old 11-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Owner|Admin

Today my wife and I participated in a local SCCA RoadRally sponsored by the Pan Am SCCA region. The event was a GTA (Game, Tour and Adventure) Rally, which requires participants to answer questions based on signs and landmarks along the route.

There was a 2 hour time limit to complete the route and 49 questions to answer along the way. The route followed backroads from El Paso, Texas to Las Cruces, NM, going through small towns, rural farm land, and pecan orchards.

My wife and I finished within the allotted time and correctly answered 42 of the questions (for perspective, first place got 45 and last place got 21) for a third place finish. The Eclipse did great and garnered a lot of attention, especially at the the starting line, which was at a local Nissan dealership. I even had one of the employees wanting to know how much I'd sell it for.

We had a great time and are looking forward to doing more events like this in the future with the antique ;) haha!

IMG_6829.jpg